Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy Healthline

C. Maltepe, L. A. Magee, A. Einarson, R. Bishai, P. Mazzotta, G. Koren
Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The NVP Healthline, a toll-free line, was established in February 1996. Initially, it started as a study in response to women with severe NVP who reported terminating their pregnancies. The response was so great, that in January 1997 the Healthline started looking at the quality of life of these women. Today, we are continuing to look at the quality of life via questionnaires and have also developed a clinic for women with NVP. All women receive counselling about various treatment options, have pamphlets mailed out to them, and receive a follow-up call within a week.

Women call the Healthline and if they fit the criteria and agree to do a 30-minute questionnaire, they are then enrolled in the Quality of Life study. After the questionnaire is completed, women are counselled on the treatment of nausea and vomiting, and a letter is sent to their physician documenting the information that the woman received. Counselling is still provided even if women do not fit criteria and/or do not agree to participate in the study.

The NVP Clinic was established in January 1998 for women:

Case report

Age 34, 10 weeks GA, vomiting seven times/day in the past three weeks with a 5 lb weight loss. She was on Diclectin, 1 tablet BID with little effect. Her urine tested 3+ for ketones. Patient looking generally unwell.

Treatment given to patient was two litres of normal saline with multivitamins and Stemetil 5 mg IV. She was kept under observation for six hours, and then sent home with home care on Diclectin, 4 tablets a day and Gravol PRN, plus IV fluids for two days. On the second visit, six days later, vomiting had ceased, she was generally looking better, and was well hydrated. Patient was very pleased with treatment and support that was offered at the clinic.

She also received a telephone follow-up call a week later and was continuing to improve.

Back to home